Lunar New Year: Lift-the-Flap Zodiac Printable
新年快乐！To celebrate the Year of the Ox, we've made a Lift-the-Flap Zodiac Printable. Use this printable to practice animal vocabulary in Chinese, or to tell the story of how the Chinese Zodiac came about.
You'll need an X-Acto knife, retractable knife or something similar, along with tape or glue.
For this activity, we have provided 2 PDFs. Right click on each link and click "save link as" to download.
- Bottom Layer: Animal drawings
- Top Layer: Flaps with Chinese characters and pinyin
- Step 1: On the Top Layer, take an X-Acto knife or retractable knife and cut along the dotted lines. Fold the flap so that it can open or shut.
- Step 2: (Optional) Color the animals in the Bottom Layer :)
- Step 3: Put the Top Layer on top of the Bottom Layer. Make sure the corners line up. Tape the sides together.
- Step 4: Enjoy! Practice pronouncing the animals in Chinese, or identifying the characters (if your child is learning characters). Happy New Year!
Note: This Printable has been updated for the Year of the Tiger (2022). Please see the link above for 2022 under "Top Layer" and download the most up to date version!